Page 1 of 143 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: 8-Bit IDE Controller

Blog Entries

Default 8-Bit IDE Controller

I'm "upgrading" my old Tandy 1000SX and need a 8-Bit IDE controller. Something like or similar to an Acculogic sIDE-1/16. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. eBay proves negative at this time.

Thanx,

Agent Orange

there should be one or two on ebay in the ebay stores section, but the prices are ridiculous. i'd also love to know if anybody finds something reasonable, but of course Orange has first dibs.

have we, as a group, ever looked into building our own and getting a small supply of them made up? After researching alternates to my SCSI problem on an XT, I see there are schematics posted for one, and I know that collectively we have the skillset to design and create such a card. I *might* even be able to ask some of my coworkers to help-we have a hardware design team, a couple board layout guys, and we get custom made PCBs made several times a year. Something like this would probably only take up an hour of their time.

I have no idea what a minimum order would be, or how much they would cost, or if parts can be sourced for such a relic, but I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could, and I bet there are 10-20 others on this board alone would would do likewise.

Just thinkin.

Blog Entries

It would have to interface to an AT-IDE drive though, as the XT ones are as hard to find as the 8-bit boards.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

I have a very simple 8 bit controller that uses 16 bit drives. It has maybe 20 or 30 74ls IC and a boot ROM. I think it is limited to 512meg drives though.

Anyone interested in trying to reverse engineer?

I have seen others mention doing this but its never panned out. Where is the schematic to build your own? Given that a dumb 8bit IDE controller requires no logic (just software or bios) I would think that a 16 bit variety would need some sort of flip flop and support chips to break 16bitters into 8 bits for the bus. The most simplistic solution would involve using a device driver to use the HD (I would not be against this solution if someone is willing to write a boot level driver for ide disk access) Or we need to integrate it into a bios which would be more complex for everybody since one would have to write a eeprom if they were assembling it themselves.

I guess I would be game for a pair; if someone was nice enough to take on the endevour!

Quote Originally Posted by hargle View Post
    have we, as a group, ever looked into building our own and getting a small supply of them made up? After researching alternates to my SCSI problem on an XT, I see there are schematics posted for one, and I know that collectively we have the skillset to design and create such a card. I *might* even be able to ask some of my coworkers to help-we have a hardware design team, a couple board layout guys, and we get custom made PCBs made several times a year. Something like this would probably only take up an hour of their time.

I have no idea what a minimum order would be, or how much they would cost, or if parts can be sourced for such a relic, but I know I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could, and I bet there are 10-20 others on this board alone would would do likewise.

Just thinkin.

The thread in question with schematics and stuff came from here:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ead.php?t=7243

of which the main point of interest is here:

http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~jdbaker/o...s/8bitIDE.html

I admit, I have not really absorbed the details from that page yet.

If we designed our own, we could also add an option ROM to it, and I (and a few others here) have x86 assembly experience and could likely write the appropriate hooks for INT13 to double pump the 16 bit data.

edit:
    kb2syd: I'd love to disassemble that option rom on your board. I bet just scanning the PCB would get us a layout as well. Those things are pretty simple...
    Last edited by hargle; September 24th, 2008 at 01:19 PM.

How do I go about reading the boot rom on an ISA expansion card?

I'll try to disassemble the binary and see what it is doing. It is socketed so I guess I could pull it and send it out to someone, but I'd rather not.

Kelly

Blog Entries

If you can find one of the 8-bit adapters, try going to an IDE-CF adapter. Most (if not all) CF cards can do 8 bit transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by hargle View Post
    The thread in question with schematics and stuff came from here:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ead.php?t=7243

of which the main point of interest is here:

http://www.mylinuxisp.com/~jdbaker/o...s/8bitIDE.html

I admit, I have not really absorbed the details from that page yet.

If we designed our own, we could also add an option ROM to it, and I (and a few others here) have x86 assembly experience and could likely write the appropriate hooks for INT13 to double pump the 16 bit data.

edit:
    kb2syd: I'd love to disassemble that option rom on your board. I bet just scanning the PCB would get us a layout as well. Those things are pretty simple...

Looks like a pretty simple layout. Probably fit on a 2.5" x 3.5" PCB quite nicely.

Perhaps, if I get some time, I'll fire up Eagle 5.2 and play around with it.