Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ND-110 computer

Blog Entries

Default ND-110 computer

I started a new thread, time to stop hijacking the Tiki-100 thread
    About the ND-110/CX
    Quote Originally Posted by pontus View Post
    Bigger and Heavier I've never used it, but it did boot at one time.

This is the half cabinet, a bit more than 19 inch wide and about 60-70 cm high, I have the same terminal as in the picture below, which will be included to anyone who picks it up. It sits in my storage room for now, I have no rush in getting rid of it. If you ever get a chance to pick it up, let me know.

http://www.sintran.com/history/nd-100.jpg
    Hmm, how much does it weigh?
    Power: does it run from a standard, single-phase mains circuit (220 VAC)?
    Do you know how much current it needs? Can I power it from a standard 10A circuit?
    Torfinn

I've met Göran who works on the emulator, he is a nice guy with _tons_ of ND hardware.
    It looks like this Göran currently has a ND-110 Satellite for sale (see Tradera), but it ain't cheap. Then again, pricing on very rare but bulky items often depends on how attached to them you are and how much space you need to clear. I suppose a such machine can go for anywhere $15 - $650 depending on the seller.
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by tingo View Post
    I started a new thread, time to stop hijacking the Tiki-100 thread
    About the ND-110/CX

Hmm, how much does it weigh?
    Power: does it run from a standard, single-phase mains circuit (220 VAC)?
    Do you know how much current it needs? Can I power it from a standard 10A circuit?
    Hmm, I'm estimating the weight to somewhere between 30-50 kg. It is a guess, but two persons of normal stature can lift it with no problems. When I played with it I measured the power draw at the outlet to somewhere between 350 to 400 W. So there is no problem to run it of a normal 10A household outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    It looks like this Göran currently has a ND-110 Satellite for sale (see Tradera), but it ain't cheap. Then again, pricing on very rare but bulky items often depends on how attached to them you are and how much space you need to clear. I suppose a such machine can go for anywhere $15 - $650 depending on the seller.
    Wow, I think this is a combination of the fact that Göran really likes his machines and maybe needs a little cash. Also his machine is almost guaranteed to function. If he needed the space he would sell ND-500

The price of mine is the unchanged: Free for pickup And a terminal like this is included
    Looking for: anything from SGI or DEC/digital
    Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se

Blog Entries

Too bad Uppsala is so far away fro Oslo...
    Torfinn

Well, I might have a fellow driving up from Göteborg to pick up other stuff, perhaps something can be coordinated ? If you are seriously interested.

Blog Entries

Quick question: do you have any floppies at all for the ND-110/CX? (Since it has a 5.25 inch floppy drive and I have only 8 inch floppies, I can't use them).
    Torfinn

I'm afraid not. It only came with a manual for the TDV monitor.

Perhaps you could move the floppy to you satellite/9 and make copies? (given that you have 5.25" blanks)

Blog Entries

Perhaps you could move the floppy to you satellite/9 and make copies? (given that you have 5.25" blanks)
    Hmm, I'm not sure if the floppy controller in my Satellite/9 accepts a 5.25 inch floppy drive (it is really old). But I have 5.25 inch floppy drives connected to x86 hardware. Perhaps it can be coaxed into writing ND-format floppies?
    I'll have to look into that. If not, some sort of network solution could probably be worked out. Or perhaps someone else could help me out, there are a few people with working ND hardware around.
    Torfinn

Someone mentioned that they've used catweasel to at least read ND floppies, but I never followed up on that.

I know a guy in the north of Sweden with _loads_ (and I mean _loads_) of ND hardware. He also has quite some knowledge with ND machines, he might be able to hook you up when you get there. I'll send you his email in a PM if you like (and if it's ok by him)

5 1/4" ND floppies can be read by a PC with a 5 1/4" interface. With Linux it's easy enough, you'll only need the 'setfdprm' tool to change the sector size etc., and, sometimes, the 'floppycontrol' tool to reset the drive.
    8" floppies should be possible to read the same way, with the proper 50-to-34-pin interface. I haven't got around to try it yet. And if not, it's already known to work by inserting a Kryoflux into that setup.
    It should be possible to write 5 1/4" floppies by that Linux setup I described above (details on NDWiki), but formatting may be a problem - I haven't looked into that. Unless you have pre-formatted media, of course.

This thread seems to have sprung out of another one which I can't locate - but if it's a question of getting existing software over to a 5 1/4" floppy that an owner of an ND with a 5 1/4" drive can read, then it's easy enough if you don't want to try creating the final format directly from the PC:
    1: Get an image copy of an existing floppy (e.g. from an 8" floppy).
    2: Copy that image over to a PC, Linux or BSD.
    3: Write the image to a standard, PC-format floppy (dd/ds, or, if the controller is a 3112, hd) with the 'dd' command.
    4: On the ND, do a device-copy of the PC format floppy to a file. Use device-copy set-floppy-format to be able to read the PC format (15b or 17b)
    5: Then copy the file back to a floppy in ND format.
    6: The floppy may now be read by the normal SINTRAN filesystem tools.

3-5 can be replaced with variations of the theme.

-Tor