Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ND-110 computer

That is probably just a warning that can be ignored, and it'll go away if you re-dump the program. The ftn program was probably dumped on an earlier version of SINTRAN, before certain aspects of the 1bank/2bank stuff was changed. At least if the compiler appears to work it should be OK. Try a 'help' command.

-Tor

Blog Entries

I haven't had time to fire up SINTRAN yet; recent upgrades to my apartment made the machines inaccessible (ok, they were just stored away) for a time.
    But I wondered one thing: cna I use the COPY-FILE command to copy floppies?
    the floppy device (floppy-device 1) has a file name FLOPPY-1:;1
    So (in theory at least), I could just insert a floppy, close the drive and do
    Code:
    @COPY-FILE "destination:data", FLOPPY-1
    and SINTRAN III would copy the contents of the floppy in the drive to the new file destination:data
    Or would that fail (for reasons I do not know yet)?
    Torfinn

That will not work I believe, I think it'll just create a copy of the device file itself, not the content of the floppy. But you could try it of course, in case I'm wrong.

-Tor

Blog Entries

Well, I tried it
    Code:
    @copy-file "nd-4:data",floppy-1
    It started, and for a while things were looking good. It read from the floppy a bit, paused (writing to the hard drive?) and repeated.
    But after a while it started filling my screen with invisible characters. I did this from a serial terminal, so I went over to the console, to see if I could figure out what it the machine was doing. But the console screen started filling with the character "P". After a few seconds, I used the STOP button on the Operator panel to end the madness.

After having started SINTRAN again, I checked the file:
    Code:
    MINI>@fi-st nd:d
    OUTPUT FILE: 
    FILE 112 : (PACK-ONE:SYSTEM)ND-4:DATA;1
               (INDEXED FILE)
               PUBLIC ACCESS : READ
               FRIEND ACCESS : READ, WRITE, APPEND
               OWN ACCESS : READ, WRITE, APPEND, COMMON, DIRECTORY
               OPENED 1 TIME
               CREATED 19.39.15  OCTOBER 7, 2000
               OPENED FOR WRITE 19.39.15  OCTOBER 7, 2000
               154 PAGES , 315392 BYTES IN FILE
    I haven't checked the contents yet, because I had trouble getting kermit to work. Along the way, it seems like two of the terminal ports on the Satellite died too. I just hope that nothing more dies in this old machine.
    Torfinn

Hm, 154 pages? That's promising, if what you tried to copy was an 8" ND floppy.. because it's exactly 154 pages. You do have my floppy image dumping tool, don't you? If you get that file copied over to your BSD box you should be able to check it if so.

-Tor

Blog Entries

Yes, I have your tool (it is a great tool - thanks!); and I plan on using that to check out the image when I get to it.
    Torfinn