Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Bin files for EPROM burning!

Hi All

I'm not sure which diodes I used as I scavenged them out of an old zx spectrum motherboard.

Make sure all pins are soldered straight through except for 18,20 and 21.

Also ensure the diode banded ends are on pin 21 2532 side.

Here's my adapter:-

Hope the above makes sense.

Note this worked on a willem pcb 50 set to 21v using external 12v supply.
    Last edited by Pet Rescue; March 26th, 2011 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pet Rescue View Post
    Connect a diode from Pin 20 on the 2732 socket to Pin 21 on the 2532 socket with the banded end at pin 21.
    Then connect a diode from Pin 24 on the 2532 socket to Pin 21 on the 2532 socket again with the banded end on Pin 21.
    There seems to be a typo there. Based on your picture, you connected a diode from pin 24 on the 2732 side to pin 21 on the 2532 side.
    Furthermore, I misread it even worse and connected a diode between pin 24 on the 2532 to pin 21 on the 2732.

I'll try again some other day.
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    There seems to be a typo there. Based on your picture, you connected a diode from pin 24 on the 2732 side to pin 21 on the 2532 side.
    That's OK, pin 24 is Vcc on both chips, so whichever pin 24 is easiest to get to...

Furthermore, I misread it even worse and connected a diode between pin 24 on the 2532 to pin 21 on the 2732.
    Oh, that would screw things up and maybe damage the address driver on the willem, etc.

Hi all,

Sorry for any confusion carlsson, with regards to the wiring as dave_m mentioned on pin 24 (2532 or 2732) to pin 21 doesn't matter as pin 24 is wired straight through. I thought your adapter picture didn't look quite right and so I posted mine to make sure. I'll try and post a picture next time of any projects I make.

Hope your programmer is still ok!

Now I have built a new adapter, and based on preliminary tests, it appears to successfully read all 4K from a 2332/2532 as a 2732. I just will have to handle the adapter with care, so no solder joints come loose, legs break or short circuit eachother.
    Anders Carlsson

I'm glad it's worked for you and that the other adapter didn't cause any damage.

I've blown a few more eproms today and it's great to be able to read and write using just the one adapter!!

Carlsson I have two roms in my 8296D and they are marked TILLMON 2.3 $A000 and TILLMON 3.3 $9000, have you any Idea what they are for? and better still how to run them do you use a SYS comand?

Yes, probably they will start with a SYS. The question is just what address. If the 8296 has a TIM monitor in ROM (SYS 4 ??), you could use the M command at address 9000 and A000 to see what the ROMs contain. Just the first few bytes will usually be enough to tell if it is runnable code or not.
    Anders Carlsson

Hi again Carlsson could I be mistaken and it is the machine code monitor in rom form, as I am repairing two 8296's one a D model and they have had a few chips swapped in and out, maybe the previous owner has put both in one machine.

Perhaps a 3rd party machine code monitor, one that supports more commands than viewing memory as hexadecimal numbers and saving memory dumps to device... Ok, perhaps I was a bit unfair to TIM now, it has a couple more commands but quite limited compared to newer machine code monitors.
    Anders Carlsson

Thank for the quick reply I reckon you are right and it is as you say, a 3rd party machine code monitor.