Thread: Old Mech Game I played back in '98

Default Old Mech Game I played back in '98

Hey guys. I'm new to Vintage Computer Forums, but I wanted to know if anyone knew of an vintage game that I think was released on Windows 95 or 98.

The icon has a green mech on it with a black background and I remember it was both singleplayer, and multiplayer. It had a very Quake/Unreal Tournament feel to it, though it was third person. The game title itself started with Z or X, I think.

I'm very bad at explaining things, sorry, it's natural for me. Reply if you know what the game is and I will be very greatful.

Have a good day~.

The two most popular Mech games were MechWarrior and EarthSeige that I recall around that time-frame. You can try hunting around the mobygames filters for a simulation (usually they're categorized as a simulation) or just search for mech. Best of luck figuring it out!
    Looking to acquire: IBM 5100, Altair 8800

Given you're talking '98, other possibilities include Shogo, Slave Zero... or maybe even Heavy Gear. The icon description and X or Z in the name makes me think of Slave Zero.

Especially the green - the game's UI was green obsessed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDwSmZa13xE

Look familiar?

I've been a Battletech player since it came out some thirty years ago, and ran the official Battletech website for almost a decade (we had a parting of ways about a year ago) - so when it comes to Mecha games, I'm fairly aware of what's what.
    "If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -- Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    Given you're talking '98, other possibilities include Shogo, Slave Zero... or maybe even Heavy Gear. The icon description and X or Z in the name makes me think of Slave Zero.
    Slave Zero is the one! Thank you very much. Once again, I can try my luck with running this game on a more modern computer. Last time, it didn't work out well. Would you happen to know of any solutions to run the game on Windows 7? I can always look around for a fix if you don't know, but thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cydran View Post
    Slave Zero is the one! Thank you very much. Once again, I can try my luck with running this game on a more modern computer. Last time, it didn't work out well. Would you happen to know of any solutions to run the game on Windows 7? I can always look around for a fix if you don't know, but thank you very much.
    The best way is to install windows 98 on a reliable computer and play it with that. I stopped bothering with emulators and patches a long time ago.
    (although I have a fairly large older game collection).