Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seller's who change shipping after the fact....

USPS flat rate boxes. No guesswork, no surprises, reliable service EVERYWHERE. free boxes. I dont understand why people use ups/fedex. my last ups box I got was delivered to me by usps!
    Buying all old Asus motherboards! Paying big for p/i-p65up8 in working condition!

The only advantage of UPS to me is that their stores stay open longer hours than the post office does, and can package an item for you (if you don't mind paying them to do it). Every time I have compared prices, UPS and FedEx are always more expensive than the post office.

USPS's pricing is somewhat oddly structured in that for smaller/lighter packages, Priority Mail is actually slightly cheaper than Parcel Post, gets their quicker (1-3 days), and you get an additional discount and free Delivery Confirmation tracking if you print out the shipping label online. Parcel Post does get quite a bit cheaper, though, for larger/heavier items, and I have used it to send large, heavy boxes (including vintage computers) cross-country, with never any problems.

And yes, a lot of UPS and FedEx packages end up getting delivered by the post office anyway, because there are areas where it is cheaper for them to outsource their delivery to the postal service, rather than build their own infrastructure in those areas -- and also the postal service can deliver to a P.O. Box while the private carriers cannot.

Where I live, UPS and FedEx won't deliver to the post office so they're as good as useless. You have to make special arrangements to agree on a drop off location that suits them. I'm only 15 minutes from the post office so it would be OK for me if they would leave stuff there - but they won't.

USPS is by far the more deluxe service. They deliver (via Canada Post here) right to where I live (so no need to drive anywhere) and it's fast and absolutely no trouble for me. On eBay I ignore all sellers who don't use the post office because I just don't want the trouble, let alone the higher cost and slower service provided by the courier services.
    Voxigo's Blog: my sometimes relevant perspective.

luckybob said
    USPS flat rate boxes. No guesswork, no surprises, reliable service EVERYWHERE. free boxes. I dont understand why people use ups/fedex
    Try as I might, I just can't seem to be able to jam that H89 into a flat rate box, and I've tried EVERYTHING!!!
    patscc

Quote Originally Posted by patscc View Post
    luckybob said

Try as I might, I just can't seem to be able to jam that H89 into a flat rate box, and I've tried EVERYTHING!!!
    patscc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrink_ray problem solved.
    Buying all old Asus motherboards! Paying big for p/i-p65up8 in working condition!

Not really. The only shrink-rays I've seen won't fit into a flat-rate box, either.
    patscc

7. Default

When I was selling a lot of computer products on eBay, I had a lot of problems with Buyers in Foreign Countries using fake US Addresses to gain access to US eBay bidding on auctions, and then wanting me to ship to foreign countires where they are located at the fixed shipping rate posted for US Addresses. My auctions specifically stated " No Buyers in Foreign Countries, no shipping to Foreign Countries", but that didn't stop people in foreign countries from bidding on my auctions anyway.

The last couple of weeks I was an active Seller on eBay, I had auctions won by Foreign Buyers (bidding was a violation of my Terms of Auction/Sale) with fake US Addresses who wanted me to ship to Canada (3), New Zeland, Germany, and Israel.

The worst offenders were the Buyers located in Canada who expected me to accept payment in Canadian Dollars, and ship to Canada at the same shipping charge stated for US Shipments, then got mad when Canadian Customs slapped all kinds of import duties on the package. Typically Canadian Customs was slapping on a duty equal to the value and cost of shipping of the entire package. Meaning that if the contents and shipping were worth $100US, Canadian Customs demanded another $100 (US, but in Canadian Dollars) for import taxes and services.

Away from eBay, I have always conducted sales with Buyers in Foreign Countries. The rules are different (my way or the highway), and I have more control over the the transactions. I have been satisfying customers for S-100 computer hardware and software all over the world for over 30 years.

You would not believe the number of people in Canada with faked US Address who demanded that I treat shipping to them in Canada the same as if they were in the US, because they argued that "Canada is not a Foreign Country".

Ultimately, eBay and I parted company because it became unprofitable to Sell on eBay (at one point my eBay Sales were $8K to $10K a month) because of the number of DeadBeat Bidders, Scammers, and Foreign Bidders with Fake US Addresses. When I calculated out the costs of selling on eBay, eBay and PayPal were getting over 25-30% of the gross amount of sales, making the risk higher than the profit.

No doubt that Sellers on eBay purposely overcharge for shipping and handling. That's how many of them make their profit from Selling on eBay because in many cases they are not making anything when they sell their items. Personally, I set the starting point of auctions at my thresh hold of pain, and figured whatever the item sold for was what I would get for it, and shipping was usually calculated after the auction was over and I could figure out exactly what it would cost to ship to the Buyer. No Excessive "handling" fee tacked on.
    Last edited by MicrocomputerSolutions; September 27th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrocomputerSolutions View Post
    The worst offenders were the Buyers located in Canada who expected me to accept payment in Canadian Dollars, and ship to Canada at the same shipping charge stated for US Shipments, then got mad when Canadian Customs slapped all kinds of import duties on the package. Typically Canadian Customs was slapping on a duty equal to the value and cost of shipping of the entire package. Meaning that if the contents and shipping were worth $100US, Canadian Customs demanded another $100 (US, but in Canadian Dollars) for import taxes and services.
    That seems counter-productive to charge that much in duty. Why was it so high? Was it how it was declared? How do Canadians order from the US normally?

I ship internationally only rarely because the amount of paperwork takes up 15+ minutes of my time, and my time is valuable. But when I do ship internationally, I typically use "gift" as the customs code and the customers have never complained. (I sell and ship as a private individual, not a company/llc, so I don't think I'm breaking any laws, but if I am, somebody please tell me!)

One time I sold a laptop (an old IBM ThinkPad) on eBay and the winning bidder was in China. But he paid for USPS International Priority Mail shipping, so it was no problem for me to send out. About a month later, the box came back to me, saying that the guy in China never picked it up (so maybe he didn't want to pay the customs duty?), and the mailman tried to collect postage due (about $18 ), to cover the return shipping cost. I refused, and the post office held it for about another two months, before they finally sent it back to me without attempting to collect a return shipping fee. The end result was no money out of my pocket, because the buyer had paid for it, and he never tried to contact me via e-mail to let me know why he never picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    That seems counter-productive to charge that much in duty. Why was it so high? Was it how it was declared? How do Canadians order from the US normally?

I ship internationally only rarely because the amount of paperwork takes up 15+ minutes of my time, and my time is valuable. But when I do ship internationally, I typically use "gift" as the customs code and the customers have never complained. (I sell and ship as a private individual, not a company/llc, so I don't think I'm breaking any laws, but if I am, somebody please tell me!)
    You are breaking both US and Canadian law. Its only gift if you gave it as a gift. If you sold it its not a gift anymore. However, since the only one hurt is big government I doubt anyone will report you any time soon.

As to the Canadian Tariff that sounds completely bogus to me. A quick Google search reveals the following page which indicates a tax of 5% for GST. Although other areas with the HST or PST are not specified I doubt one area will be 5% and another 100%. As for eBay and PayPal the most I've paid to them for selling on eBay has been ~13% and I get no discounts selling once in a blue moon. So I am not sure where these numbers are coming from.

I do agree that the buyers are being sleazy expecting you to honor the S&H for US in foreign markets. But nothing is forcing you to do so. In fact misrepresenting your location is one of the sure fire ways to loose an eBay case, get FB removed, etc. etc. If it was me I would just get tracking and ship it out to their fake address. That is all eBay and PayPal need to let you win a claim.

My OP was not in relation to sleazy buyers. Those guys get whats coming to them. But I was more concerned with how people with the sleazy sellers which seem to be on the rise again.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. Sound Blaster 2.0 C/MS Upgrade Kit 3. Copy II PC Enhanced Option Board (the one with the switch on the back) 4. Elsa Winner 2000 w/ 4MB EISA

If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!