Thread: Corvus Hard Drive Interface

1. Default Corvus Hard Drive Interface

Does anyone have one of these? I'm not talking about the networking cards that you can easily find, but the hard drive interface which is a bit harder to find. I know they made them for Atari and Apple, possibly PC. Specifically looking for a lead on an Atari one but would consider one for another system since I have all the machines they were made for. I already have 2 of the hard drives so I would prefer to get just the interface by itself as shipping on those things is a deal killer.

Blog Entries

Are you talking about the IMI drive interface?

3. Default

Not sure what you mean by IMI.

I have two of the drives shown here

but no interface to connect them up.

Blog Entries

The very early Corvus Apple box used a shoebox-sized 7.8" drive from IMI (7710). A very different animal from what you've got there.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The very early Corvus Apple box used a shoebox-sized 7.8" drive from IMI (7710). A very different animal from what you've got there.

One of the drives is longer than the other so I assume that one is an early model. The drive inside is what they used to call a Winchester drive and is sealed in a hard plastic shell. The longer one is 5mb and the smaller one is 10mb.

Quote Originally Posted by animekenji View Post
    One of the drives is longer than the other so I assume that one is an early model. The drive inside is what they used to call a Winchester drive and is sealed in a hard plastic shell. The longer one is 5mb and the smaller one is 10mb.
    Sure sound like IMI drives; that's what Corvus used and in fact they ultimately merged with IMI.

As Chuck says, Corvus originally used the 8" IMI 7710 drives and later several 5 1/4" drives; the plastic shell one is probably a 5007 and the other one probably a 5012. The 10MB and larger drives were available with IMI, SA1000 or ST506 interfaces and I think IBM even used some for a while when the CMI drives were failing left and right.

I've got a few IMI drives and also a Corvus enclosure and hard disk interface, but it uses the 3-pin network interface to the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by animekenji View Post
    Does anyone have one of these? I'm not talking about the networking cards that you can easily find, but the hard drive interface which is a bit harder to find. I know they made them for Atari and Apple, possibly PC. Specifically looking for a lead on an Atari one but would consider one for another system since I have all the machines they were made for. I already have 2 of the hard drives so I would prefer to get just the interface by itself as shipping on those things is a deal killer.
    Hi,

You might contact drken - I see that he has 2 or 3 interface cards in his online store (along with a whole lot of software disks):
    http://www.blujay.com/?keywords=corv...t=&page=search

I hope this helps...

smp

That happens to be a picture from my livingroom. What you see on the picture, from left to right:

Commodore 8296-D
    Two Corvus drives (IMI drives 5006H, 5012H, 5018H) with a Small Systems Engineering (SSE) Hardbox on top
    Two Corvus drives (ditto drives) with a Corvus multiplexer on top

The Hardbox is used to interface a Commodore PET with the Corvus system. What you are looking for is a similar interface, but for an Atari or Apple. Sorry, but I can't help you about that. As a matter of fact, three of the four Corvus drives on the picture have been sold/donated, so also about the multiplexer.

As a side note, SSE made both a Softbox and a Hardbox. It has recently been proven that the Softbox is a superset of the Hardbox, with additional chips for RS-232 communication. While the Hardbox is used to interface PET with Corvus, the Softbox is a CP/M computer that interfaces to the PET through the IEEE bus. By changing the firmware and a few jumpers, one can convert a Hardbox into a Softbox minus RS-232 functionality. We're a couple of people engaging in a private email communication on this matter, and it might eventually be disclosed on some forum. And yes, a Softbox also can connect to a Corvus drive, so you get CP/M with a hard drive to your PET.
    Anders Carlsson