+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new posts

1. Default new posts

when I look at the new posts page, it might read as follows

page 1 1 to 25 of 38 posts
    page 2 26 to 37 of 37 posts

And I wondered if one post is getting lost between pages? or the forum software has an "undocumented feature"

Thanks.

One of the new posts might have aged to the point of no longer being new before you got to page 2.
    * If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disks, PM me. I've got plenty of new, used and reformatted/overlabled disks for sale. *
    * There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen *
    * Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. *

Blog Entries

I sometimes see this in other parts of the forum. In the "Who's Online?" section, let's say there's 91 people total online. I can go to pages 1-4 and see the list of members. Then one I click on page 5, at the bottom it'll say "Displaying users 75-88 of 88" and thus page 5 should no longer exist. But it must be a forum glitch and keep the extra page. You just stumbled across one of it's funny points.
    ~Ian~

Searching and searching for a Packard Bell "Corner" Computer and an IBM PS/2 Model 95.

Quote Originally Posted by DOS lives on!! View Post
    I sometimes see this in other parts of the forum. In the "Who's Online?" section, let's say there's 91 people total online. I can go to pages 1-4 and see the list of members. Then one I click on page 5, at the bottom it'll say "Displaying users 75-88 of 88" and thus page 5 should no longer exist. But it must be a forum glitch and keep the extra page. You just stumbled across one of it's funny points.
    That's not a glitch. That number changes continuously. These pages are not dynamic and there's no way a static page could possibly display the correct values for more than a second or two.
    * If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disks, PM me. I've got plenty of new, used and reformatted/overlabled disks for sale. *
    * There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen *
    * Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. *

Blog Entries

Personally, I get a kick out of posts with, say, 5 replies but 0 views...

A lot of those post count discrepancies are because moderators nuked some spam. A VB forum I moderate tries to roll back the post count, view count, etc when you delete a spam post but doesn't always adjust the counts correctly. It's an older VB forumversion, I imagine this version works the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Personally, I get a kick out of posts with, say, 5 replies but 0 views...
    Ah, THAT explains the contents of some of those posts, if they didn't read whatever they're replying to...

It's doing that thing again where it'll report more new posts than can be displayed on one page, but it doesn't display a page selector...
    Power Mac G4 (OS9/OSX.4, 200GB HD, 2GB RAM, PPC 7455 @ 2x1.25GHz)
    Amiga 1200 (KS3.1/ClassicWB3.1, 4GB HD, 34MB RAM, 68030 @ 50MHz)
    DEC MicroPDP-11/73 (RT-11, 32MB HD, 4MB RAM, KDJ11 @ 3.75MHz)

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    It's doing that thing again where it'll report more new posts than can be displayed on one page, but it doesn't display a page selector...
    You're right, I get that too. Also, when I just tried to post this, it called me "unregistered" again. It does that sometimes. I don't think it's anything to worry about, that's usual for beta software.
    Voxigo's Blog: my sometimes relevant perspective.

Blog Entries

This is getting really irritating. I'll see under "New Posts", "1-21 of 68 New Messages" . When I click "Next" for the second page f new posts, I get " nothing found" . Going back and doing a "Search for posts in the last 24 hours" shows that there are indeed a bunch of new posts that I haven't seen.

Can this please be fixed?

+ Reply to Thread