Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Roland should I hunt for?

Now that I come to think of it, I have no idea how to actually connect a PC to a midi module..

Apparently I could use a cable that uses game-port DB15 connection and converts it into two DIN-5 connectors? Do these plug into an MPU or directly to a midi-module? Is this foolproof or does it work only for some (hopefully most) games?

What about games where I need midi-module and joystick, like the beloved TIE Fighter? Do I need to buy an extra game-port card?

Quote Originally Posted by djquu View Post
    Now that I come to think of it, I have no idea how to actually connect a PC to a midi module..

Apparently I could use a cable that uses game-port DB15 connection and converts it into two DIN-5 connectors? Do these plug into an MPU or directly to a midi-module? Is this foolproof or does it work only for some (hopefully most) games?

What about games where I need midi-module and joystick, like the beloved TIE Fighter? Do I need to buy an extra game-port card?
    i think this is the cable I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midiman-Soun...item35bca68a06

it also has an extra cable coming off it with an extra joystick port so you can have your midi module hooked up and still have a connection for your joystick. Its worked fine for me in X-wing. i get the MT-32 sound and my joystick support

I have my own question though. I've never used amplifiers/mixers. other then sound cards my experence with sound systems is pretty limited. can anyone give me an example of a mixer/amplifier I could use with my sound blaster/mt-32 to hopefully improve the quality?

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    i think this is the cable I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/Midiman-Soun...item35bca68a06

it also has an extra cable coming off it with an extra joystick port so you can have your midi module hooked up and still have a connection for your joystick. Its worked fine for me in X-wing. i get the MT-32 sound and my joystick support
    Sounds promising. Does anyone have any bad experiences with adapter-cables like this?

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    I have my own question though. I've never used amplifiers/mixers. other then sound cards my experence with sound systems is pretty limited. can anyone give me an example of a mixer/amplifier I could use with my sound blaster/mt-32 to hopefully improve the quality?
    Maybe something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-MX22s-...&forceRpt=true

@oblivion... keep searching ebay regularly. Search globally if need be (use advanced search). I search for the following: (1) mpu-401 on titles only, (2) mm-401 and mqx-32m in titles and descriptions... I've found a half-dozen of these in the last year, both Roland and Midiman/M-Audio. Be aware that these do require a 9-pin to 2x midi 5-pin connectors, and you may need to custom-wire one (about $2 in parts and a bit of time) - pinouts for this can be found on Quest Studios forums.

So far as the type of cable to use with your sound card's joystick port, here's what you need although there are certainly cheaper ones available (I believe monoprice.com sells them new for about $7). Note the extra 15-pin connection; this is the joystick pass-through so you can use both midi and joystick at the same time.

The Roland LAPC-1 is a self-contained card, and does not need an additional midi card. Be aware these are expensive.

By far, the cheapest method I've found using a true midi card are the MM-401 cards to drive the MT-32/etc. These cards can usually be had in the $20 range. Best deal that I found was a guy that listed them as "midi cards" and had 3 NIB ones (only 1 dongle though) along with some other useless cards, and a NIB M-Audio midi combiner. $37 shipped... that was 3 months ago. Deals are certainly out there... just be patient, and look. If you're not patient, all can be had, but usually for 3x the price
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Is there a reason to use a "midi card" instead of a game port with midi adaptor?

Depends upon the types of games you play There are two types of midi cards: those that support "normal" or "intelligent mode" midi, and those that support "dumb" or UART midi. Here's a short description about the two different modes.

Sound card joystick ports almost universally only support UART/"dumb" mode. This includes Roland's own RAP-10 sound card. Some midi cards only support UART mode as well.

Intelligent mode wasn't widely adopted in the gaming community, but some of the early midi games will use it, and without Intelligent Mode, one must either patch the software (as in the case of many of the early Sierra Quest games) or one must just work without midi (or at the least, with occasional wrong notes being played)

Great Hierophant has a list over at Vogon's of games that "require" an intelligent-mode MPU-401 card.

I just made the decision to invest in Intelligent Mode-compliant midi cards so I wouldn't have to deal with software patches and the like. Besides, a midi card that supports IM also supports UART, so two birds killed with one stone.
    Last edited by Maverick1978; October 11th, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!