Thread: CFFA3000 - fantastic!

Talking CFFA3000 - fantastic!

Hello all,

I received a CFFA3000 from Rich Dreher last week, and now that I've had some time to play around with it, all I can say is WOW!

This is a fantastic addition to my Apple IIGS system. I have hear others praise it, and all the praise that is out there is perfectly well deserved.

I now essentially have a hard disk in my system, as well as file storage for every .DSK and .2MG disk image that I have downloaded from the Internet. The card comes with built-in software to look at the memory stick that I have all my disk images on, and it is easy to pop into the menu on startup and make certain that all the disk images that I want get loaded for the session. It took some time for me to play around with it, and I found that one of my old, small memory sticks had some problems, but once I got the hang of things (and a new memory stick, just to be certain), it all is pretty simple.

This is easily the best accessory that anyone could purchase for their Apple II system. It is absolutely fantastic!

smp

I've got one on order for my Apple IIGS. Looking forward to getting it!

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: http://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/index.htm
    My vintage activities blog: http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ

Mine shipped today, next up a 4meg card.

Later,
    dabone

So far as my ideal pimp for my Rom 03, a CFFA 3000 and a 4mb card would about do it. Those a Korean mockingbird clone might be cake. Now if I can just justify $250 to put those parts onto a machine that impressed me despite myself, but still is borne out of a fruit
    ---
    Currently seeking:
    * Roland MPU-401/AT (with daughter card header)
    * Magitronic K-156 Keyboard (5pin DIN w/ XT-AT switch)
    I also collect PC and C64 Sierra On-Line software!

Quote Originally Posted by dabone View Post
    ... next up a 4meg card.
    Hello,

You know, I have been tempted to send Briel the $89 plus shipping for one of those 4 meg RAM cards, too.

So far, I have not grown my GS/OS any larger than 1.1 meg, so since I have a 1 meg Apple memory card installed, things seem to be fine.

Can anyone offer up some pointers that will justify why one needs to invest in additional memory? What are you all doing that you might need a 4 meg RAM card over a 1 meg RAM card (except for the cool factor, of course)?

Thanks,
    smp

It's required for Wolf3d. But you also want an accelerator for that. I don't have one so I didn't spend much time with it. You can also use the 4 megs of RAM as a RAM disk, but that's less useful if you already have the CFFA. Unless you're multitasking GS/OS apps it's probably not terribly useful.