Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deskpro 386/20 with memory error @ boot?

Default Deskpro 386/20 with memory error @ boot?

I have a really nice Deskpro 386/20 that works perfect except for a "164 - Memory size" POST error!

Anyone have any ideas where to start with this?

Picture of the error and the RAM board from the system in case that helps!

Try running setup (CMOS). Then save and reboot.
    * If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disks, PM me. I've got plenty of new, used and reformatted/overlabled disks for sale. *
    * There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen *
    * Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. *

Blog Entries

Make sure that the memory values in the BIOS setup are correct and match the memory amount on the card. Are there any jumpers on that card? (Under the white cover.)
    ~Ian~

Searching and searching for a Packard Bell "Corner" Computer and an IBM PS/2 Model 95.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Try running setup (CMOS). Then save and reboot.
    I second that, it could easily be simply misconfigured in the BIOS setup.

http://acrpc.net/utils/compaq-setup.ima - This 720k disk image should be the proper setup disk for 386 era deskpros. Compaq didn't have on-rom config on their computers till about the pentium era, it was always disk based, or on hidden (and usually lost) on a hard disk partition.

Thanks for the advice and the link guys! I couldn't find the BIOS so I figured it was some custom boot disk.

I'll try it when I get to work Monday

EDIT: Noticed it's a 720k image. Any quick tips on how to do this via Win7 and a USB floppy drive?

From the command line, format a: /t:80 /n:9 should work. Although, shouldn't the program you use to copy the image not care about if the floppy if formatted, anyway ? You might need to tape over the 1.44 hole as well.
    patscc

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Noticed it's a 720k image. Any quick tips on how to do this via Win7 and a USB floppy drive?
    I'm not sure you can. I always boot to DOS to restore an image file to a floppy disk.
    * If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disks, PM me. I've got plenty of new, used and reformatted/overlabled disks for sale. *
    * There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen *
    * Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. *

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Thanks for the advice and the link guys! I couldn't find the BIOS so I figured it was some custom boot disk.

I'll try it when I get to work Monday

EDIT: Noticed it's a 720k image. Any quick tips on how to do this via Win7 and a USB floppy drive?
    Winimage deals with 720k images just fine, even from Win7-64, The floppy drive shouldn't matter either, every USB one I have come across supports 720k just fine.

Sorry, I misread the post, I thought aaron7's question was different.
    If this is the Rawrite .ima format, have you tried the latest version of WinImage ?
    patscc

I don't see any jumpers on the memory board but I'll check again. How can I tell how much RAM is on it? What came on the base card? Was each plug-on module 1mb? 2mb?

I'll download Winimage this morning along with the image of the BIOS and let you guy know what happens!