Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real spies still use floppies!

Blog Entries

I onced worked in an area where "Tempest" secure devices were dealt with. Hard drive failures required complete disassembly and then the disk (platen) was then held to a belt sander. Once the surface was obliterated, the disk was put in a vice and folded into quarters. A small vehicle with a flashing light would arrive every once in a while and collect the scruntched disks. The next step was out of the area but they were eventually smelted. Not being a security expert, I would say there would litlle or no chance of any data recovery.

The Looney Tunes method of data security. Bet it worked, though.
    Power Mac G4 (OS9/OSX.4, 200GB HD, 2GB RAM, PPC 7455 @ 2x1.25GHz)
    Amiga 1200 (KS3.1/ClassicWB3.1, 4GB HD, 34MB RAM, 68030 @ 50MHz)
    DEC MicroPDP-11/73 (RT-11, 32MB HD, 4MB RAM, KDJ11 @ 3.75MHz)

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Oh good. I'm not very smart so I've got nothing to loose, but I was afraid somebody would try to steal 192.168.1.1 from me.
    All your 192.168.1.1 are belong to us!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Oh good. I'm not very smart so I've got nothing to loose, but I was afraid somebody would try to steal 192.168.1.1 from me.
    I find occasionally that a "new" acronym is the same as one that I'm familiar with, which makes things very confusing for a time. "IP" doesn't even make me blink any more. It's what I call the "Cole Porter" problem (look about 2:00 in).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    The Looney Tunes method of data security. Bet it worked, though.
    This place did have its quirks. When you arrived for the first time during the day, you stood in front of a small portal and were then visually recognized and your ID would then be put next to you picture. The only people wearing ID's were visitors. You took nothing in that wasn't inspected and likewise, nothing went out. You didn't get paid any extra for all of this either.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; October 11th, 2012 at 06:11 PM.